- No person shall use a mobile telephone or other electronic device while operating a moving motor vehicle in the District of Columbia unless the telephone or device is equipped with a hands-free accessory.
- The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following:
- Emergency use of a mobile telephone, including calls to 911 or 311, a hospital, an ambulance service provider, a fire department, a law enforcement agency, or a first-aid squad;
- Use of a mobile telephone by law enforcement and emergency personnel or by a driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, acting within the scope of official duties; or
- Initiating or terminating a telephone call, or turning the telephone on or off.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 15-124, see notes following § 50-1731.01.
DC CODE § 50-1731.04
Current through December 11, 2012
(Mar. 30, 2004, D.C. Law 15-124, § 4, 51 DCR 1541.)