- The Task Force shall conduct a detailed assessment of the emerging knowledge and technology cluster in the District of Columbia through the following:
- A review of national best practices to develop and attract knowledge-based and technology-based companies;
- Creation of a plan to promote the development of research-driven and innovative firms in the District; and
- Creation of a way to market and identify the District as a center for creativity and innovation, capitalizing on established institutions such as museums, think tanks, universities, and media and communication industries.
- The Task Force shall explore means to increase economic activity within the District through knowledge-based activities, including technology commercialization, by encouraging the following:
- Development of the technology infrastructure such as fiber optics cable and research and incubator space needed by knowledge-based and technology-based companies;
- The transfer and commercialization of university research;
- Partnerships between businesses and universities to market university products and attract government and private investment for these products;
- Creation of an entrepreneurial environment for new businesses to take advantage of emerging knowledge-based and technology development opportunities, especially in underserved communities and disadvantaged populations;
- Relocation of businesses to the District to take advantage of these initiatives;
- Investment by venture capital firms in emerging knowledge-based and technology-based companies in the District; and
- Collaboration by universities, public schools, and small businesses to:
- Define the jobs that may be created through innovation-led and technology development initiatives and the skills that will be needed for these jobs;
- Integrate opportunities for students and employees to work across disciplines to obtain the skills necessary for enhanced job performance; and
- Help individuals without technical skills to participate in on-the-job training, in conjunction with public schools and local universities.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 16-190, see notes following § 2-1221.31.
DC CODE § 2-1221.32
Current through December 11, 2012
(Mar. 2, 2007, D.C. Law 16-190, § 3, 53 DCR 6791.)