- There is established the Youth Council of the District of Columbia.
- The Youth Council members shall advise the Council of the District of Columbia ("Council") by:
- Commenting upon legislation and policies that impact on youth;
- Presenting issues and recommendations to improve the lives of youth;
- Monitoring the programs and policies that affect youth to ensure that they are achieving the intended results; and
- Working with other youth organizations in the District to:
- Provide mutual support;
- Collaborate on shared issues and interests;
- Advise one another on ways to increase the effectiveness of their organizations;
- Assist in the start-up of new youth organizations, including youth organizations for each ward of the District;
- Prepare youth for leadership positions by providing appropriate training; and
- Create more youth and adult partnerships.
- The Youth Council shall conduct periodic seminars for members regarding leadership, government, and the Council.
- (1) The Youth Council shall:
- Set its own priorities;
- Determine the function of its subcommittees;
- Establish standards of conduct;
- Establish ministerial procedures; and
- Determine its needs for the convening of meetings.
- Youth Council members shall review and consider the procedures and rules of the Council, as they may be appropriate for the Youth Council.
- Beginning one year after its first meeting and every year thereafter, the Youth Council shall publish a report of its activities, recommendations, and accomplishments, which shall be:
- Distributed to the Council;
- Placed on the Internet;
- Distributed to each public library, and the library of each public and public charter school; and
- Made available to the public upon request.
- The Youth Council shall meet at least 4 times a year, including at least one public hearing on issues of importance to youth.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 17-251, see notes following § 2-1565.01.
DC CODE § 2-1565.02
Current through December 11, 2012
(Oct. 22, 2008, D.C. Law 17-251, § 3, 55 DCR 9247.)