- The Youth Council shall be comprised of 13 members. Each of the 8 ward members of the Council shall select a member from among the applicants to represent his or her respective ward. The Chairman and each of the 4 at-large members of the Council shall select a member from among the applicants to serve as one of the 5 at-large members of the Youth Council.
- The Chairman of the Council shall appoint a committee to create an application process, which shall include an application form, the requirements for recommendations, deadlines, and any other information that will assist youths to state their interest in serving on the Youth Council.
- A Youth Council member shall:
- Be a District resident for at least one year, excluding time residing in a college dormitory, prior to his or her application to serve on the Youth Council;
- Be a college student who has been a District resident living outside a college dormitory for at least one year prior to his or her application to serve on the Youth Council;
- Have a sincere interest in, and motivation to work for, the community;
- Have a background of community-based activity;
- Have a general knowledge of the activities and needs in the sector of the community that he or she will represent;
- Have an ability to bring creative perspectives about youth issues and concerns;
- Have the ability to work patiently and constructively in a group setting;
- Be responsible and able to fulfill commitments; and
- Have an interest in the development of leadership skills.
- Members shall serve for a term of 2 years. A member may be reappointed, but may not serve more than 2 full terms.
- A chairman shall be selected by the Youth Council members.
- Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as the initial appointment. A member appointed to fill a vacancy shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term.
- Members of the Youth Council shall serve without compensation.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 17-251, see notes following § 2-1565.01.
DC CODE § 2-1565.03
Current through December 11, 2012
(Oct. 22, 2008, D.C. Law 17-251, § 4, 55 DCR 9247.)