- Exterior signs advertising alcoholic beverages, which signs have a total cumulative area in the aggregate in excess of 10 square feet, shall be prohibited.
- No sign advertising alcoholic beverages on the exterior of, or visible from the exterior of, any licensed establishment or elsewhere in the District shall be illuminated at any time when the sale of alcoholic beverages at the licensed premises is prohibited.
- A sign advertising alcoholic beverages on the exterior of, or visible from the exterior of, any licensed establishment, which is illuminated with intermittent flashes of light shall be prohibited.
- A retail licensee shall not erect or maintain at the licensed establishment, except to the extent required by federal law, a sign or lettering using the words "Wholesale," "Wholesaler," "Wholesale department," or any other word or words designed or intended to mislead or deceive the general public into believing that the licensee is licensed to sell alcoholic beverages as a wholesaler.
- A sign which does not conform to this section shall be removed.
- In addition to the provisions of this section, signage shall be subject to the regulations contained in Chapter 31 of Title 12 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations.
Historical and Statutory
D.C. Law 13-298 amended and enacted into law Title 25 of the District of Columbia Official Code.
Temporary Amendments of Section
Section 6 of D.C. Law 19-181, in subsec. (f), substituted "section 1 of An Act To regulate the erection, hanging, placing, painting, display, and maintenance of outdoor signs and other forms of exterior advertising within the District of Columbia, approved March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1486; D.C. Official Code § 1- 303.21), and any rules issued pursuant to that section." for "the regulations contained in Chapter 31 of Title 12 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations."
Section 11(b) of D.C. Law 19-181 provides that the act shall expire after 225 days of its having taken effect.
Emergency Act Amendments
For temporary (90 day) amendment of section, see § 6 of the Sign Regulation Emergency Amendment Act of 2012 (D.C. Act 19-387, July 11, 2012, 59 DCR 8491).
For temporary (90 day) amendment of section, see § 6 of Sign Regulation Congressional Review Emergency Amendment Act of 2012 (D.C. Act 19-499, October 26, 2012, 59 DCR 12749).
Legislative History of Laws
For D.C. Law 13-298, see notes following § 25-101.
DC CODE § 25-763
Current through December 11, 2012
(May 3, 2001, D.C. Law 13-298, § 101, 48 DCR 2959.)