- There shall be an Advisory Committee on Consumer Protection consisting of 11 members appointed by the Mayor for three-year terms. The nongovernmental members, immediately prior to the effective date of this chapter, of the Advisory Committee on Consumer Affairs established in Organization Order No. 40 (C.O. 73-225; October 3, 1973), shall carry out their terms. No District Government employees shall be members. Four members shall be District merchants. Seven members shall be persons with demonstrated and current records of activity on behalf of consumers.
- The Committee shall:
- recommend priorities in, and, at the Committee's discretion, carry out investigations and research, which concern broad, developing, or frequently encountered consumer problems;
- assist the Director as the Director may request;
- monitor the performance and organization of the Office, by quantitative and qualitative methods, and make recommendations and criticisms, based thereon; and
- cooperate with consumer-related agencies, groups, and individuals in the District and in the metropolitan area to improve city-wide and area-wide consumer protection and education efforts.
- The Committee shall elect one of its members as Chairperson and another as Vice-Chairperson, each to serve at the pleasure of the Committee, and such other officers and subcommittees as it determines.
- The Office shall provide staff support for the Advisory Committee. Appropriate expenses incurred by the Committee as a whole, or by individual members, may be paid when authorized by the Director.
- The Committee shall meet on call by the Chairperson as frequently as required to perform its duties, but no less than once each month, and it shall submit an annual report to the Mayor, Council, and the public.
- The Committee shall hold public hearings as deemed necessary.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 28-3907.
1973 Ed., T. 28, Appx., § 8.
Legislative History of Laws
For legislative history of D.C. Law 1-76, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 28-3901.
For legislative history of D.C. Law 3-85, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 28-3901.
For legislative history of D.C. Law 11-255, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 28-3901.
DC CODE § 28-3907
Current through December 11, 2012
(July 22, 1976, D.C. Law 1-76, § 8, 23 DCR 1185; Sept. 6, 1980, D.C. Law 3-85, § 3(a), (d), 27 DCR 2900; Apr. 9, 1997, D.C. Law 11-255, § 27(z), 44 DCR 1271.)