- Each hearing aid sale shall be accompanied by a receipt that includes:
- the name, address, and signature of the purchaser;
- the date of consummation of the sale;
- the name and address of the regular place of business, the number of the certificate of registration, and the signature of the registrant;
- the make, model, serial number, and purchase price of the hearing aid;
- a statement as to whether the hearing aid is "new" or "used";
- the complete terms of the sale, including:
- an itemization of the total purchase price, including but not limited to the cost of the hearing aid, the earmold, any batteries or other accessories, and any service costs; and
- a clear and precise statement of the terms of the trial period and the terms of any guarantee or warranty, including disclosures made pursuant to section 28-4006(a)(3)(H);
- the title and address of the Office, with a statement that complaints which arise with respect to the transaction may be submitted to the Office;
- the original of the written recommendation;
- the following statements in ten (10)-point type or larger:
- "This hearing aid will not restore normal hearing nor will it prevent further hearing loss";
- "No hearing aid may be sold to you without a prior medical examination"; and
- "A return visit to a physician who is an ear specialist or audiologist after the purchase of this aid will help you in best adapting to it"; and
- if the hearing aid sold has a telephone option, a statement that the telephone option will not work on all telephones and a statement indicating the types of telephones upon which it will work.
- Each registrant shall keep records for every customer to whom he or she renders services or sells a hearing aid, including:
- a copy of the receipt as specified in subsection (a) of this section;
- a record of services provided;
- any correspondence to or from the customer; and
- any waiver forms, as provided under section 28-4004(d). Such records shall be preserved for seven (7) years after the date of the transaction.
- Each registrant shall post conspicuously in large print at his or her place(s) of business and make available for inspection at any sale a retail price list showing all hearing aid models for sale.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 28-4005.
1973 Ed., T. 28, Appx., § 56.
Legislative History of Laws
For legislative history of D.C. Law 2-33, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 28-4001.
For legislative history of D.C. Law 3-85, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 28-4001.
For legislative history of D.C. Law 11-255, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 28-4001.
DC CODE § 28-4005
Current through December 11, 2012
(Oct. 26, 1977, D.C. Law 2-33, § 6, 24 DCR 3726; enacted, Sept. 6, 1980, D.C. Law 3-85, § 3(b), (e), 27 DCR 2900; Apr. 9, 1997, D.C. Law 11-255, § 27(bb), 44 DCR 1271.)