- A reinsurer shall not engage the services of any person, firm, association, or corporation to act as a reinsurance manager on its behalf unless the person is licensed as required by § 31-1802(b).
- The reinsurer shall annually obtain a copy of statements of the financial condition of each reinsurance manager which the reinsurer has engaged prepared by an independent certified accountant in a form acceptable to the Mayor.
- If a reinsurance manager establishes loss reserves, the reinsurer shall annually obtain the opinion of an actuary attesting to the adequacy of loss reserves established for losses incurred and outstanding on business produced by the reinsurance manager. This opinion shall be in addition to any other required loss reserve certification.
- Binding authority for all retrocessional contracts or participation in reinsurance syndicates shall rest with an officer of the reinsurer who shall not be affiliated with the reinsurance manager.
- Within 30 days of termination of a contract with a reinsurance manager, the reinsurer shall provide written notification of the termination to the Commissioner.
- A reinsurer shall not appoint to its board of directors, any officer, director, employee, controlling shareholder, or subproducer of its reinsurance manager. This subsection shall not apply to relationships governed by Chapter 7 of this title.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 35-3108.
Legislative History of Laws
For legislative history of D.C. Law 10-47, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 31-1801.
Law 11-268, the "Department of Insurance and Securities Regulation Establishment Act of 1996," was introduced in Council and assigned Bill No. 11- 415, which was referred to the Committee on Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. The Bill was adopted on first and second readings on November 7, 1996, and December 3, 1996, respectively. Signed by the Mayor on December 30, 1996, it was assigned Act No. 11-524 and transmitted to both Houses of Congress for its review. D.C. Law 11-268 became effective on May 21, 1997.
DC CODE § 31-1808
Current through December 11, 2012
(Oct. 21, 1993, D.C. Law 10-47, § 9, 40 DCR 6093; May 21, 1997, D.C. Law 11-268, § 10(bb), 44 DCR 1730.)