- A domestic corporation may borrow or assume a liability for the repayment of a sum of money under a written agreement which provides that the loan or advance shall be repaid only out of surplus of the corporation in excess of such minimum surplus as is stipulated in and by the agreement and if the surplus of the corporation after such payment would meet or exceed the level of surplus the corporation is required to maintain by the Mayor under the laws or regulations of the District of Columbia. The rate of interest specified in such an agreement may be adjusted no more frequently than annually to provide for a rate not exceeding the one-year treasury bill rate plus 3% at the time of adjustment. At the time the loan or advance is made, the interest rate shall not exceed the one-year treasury bill rate plus 3% annum.
- Subject to approval by the Mayor, the interest rate on all loans or advances existing on April 9, 1997 can be amended to the rate as permitted in this section with the mutual agreement of the corporation and the lender.
- A domestic corporation shall, before entering into an agreement for a loan or advance permitted under this section, file with the Mayor a statement of the purpose of the loan or advance and a copy of the proposed agreement. The Mayor shall disapprove any proposed agreement for a loan or advance if the Mayor finds that the loan or advance is unnecessary or excessive for the purpose intended; that the terms of the agreement are not fair and equitable to the parties and to other lenders, if any, to the corporation; that the information so filed by the corporation is inadequate; or that the terms of the agreement are not otherwise in compliance with this section.
- Any loan or advance to a domestic corporation shall be repaid by the corporation when, and to the extent, no longer reasonably necessary for the purpose originally intended; provided, that no repayment of such a loan or advance shall be made unless approved in advance by the Mayor.
- Nothing in this section shall be construed to mean that a corporation may not borrow money otherwise than by a loan or advance, but the amount so borrowed with accrued interest thereon shall be carried by the corporation as a liability.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 35-4711.
Legislative History of Laws
For legislative history of D.C. Law 11-245, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 31-3501.
DC CODE § 31-3511
Current through December 11, 2012
(Apr. 9, 1997, D.C. Law 11-245, § 12, 44 DCR 1158.)