- An individual or group health plan which is a health benefit plan, and a health insurer providing health insurance coverage, that provides medical and surgical benefits with respect to a mastectomy shall, in a manner determined in consultation with the attending physician and the patient, provide the following coverage in the case of a participant or beneficiary who is receiving benefits in connection with a mastectomy and who elects breast reconstruction in connection with such mastectomy:
- All stages of reconstruction of the breast on which the mastectomy has been performed;
- Surgery and reconstruction of the other breast to produce a symmetrical appearance; and
- Prostheses and physical complications at all stages of mastectomy, including lymphedemas.
- Coverage for the procedures in subsection (a) of this section may be subject to annual deductibles and coinsurance provisions as may be considered appropriate and as are consistent with those established for other benefits under the health benefit plan or coverage.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For D.C. Law 13-254, see notes following § 31-3831.
DC CODE § 31-3832
Current through December 11, 2012
(Apr. 3, 2001, D.C. Law 13-254, § 3, 48 DCR 723.)