- There is established within the executive branch, as a subordinate agency, the Office of Cable Television and Telecommunications. The Office shall be responsible for regulating cable service, cable service providers, and the cable television industry, protecting and promoting the public interest in cable service, and executing the policies and provisions of the cable television laws and regulations of the District.
- The Office shall be administered by an Executive Director, who shall be appointed by the Mayor and shall be subject to confirmation by the Council pursuant to § 1-523.01. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Executive Director shall become a bona fide resident of the District within 180 days after the effective date of confirmation by the Council and shall remain a District resident for the duration of the appointment. Failure to become a District resident or to maintain District residency shall result in forfeiture of the appointment. The Executive Director shall not have, or have had within 2 years preceding his or her nomination, any ownership or business interest of over 5% in, or a substantial business affiliation with, any cable operator in the District.
- The duties of the Executive Director shall include the general administration of the Office, the preparation of the budget, hiring of staff, maintaining records, administering and enforcing the provisions of this chapter and regulations promulgated pursuant to this chapter, and such other duties required by law.
- The Executive Director shall establish an Office of the General Counsel within the Office. The Office of the General Counsel shall be headed by a General Counsel appointed by the Executive Director with the approval of the Corporation Counsel. The General Counsel, with the consent of the Executive Director and the approval of the Corporation Counsel, may appoint Assistant General Counsels.
- The Executive Director may appoint a Director of Programming to be the station manager of the government channels.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 14-193, see notes following § 34-1251.01.
DC CODE § 34-1252.01
Current through December 11, 2012
(Aug. 21, 1982, D.C. Law 4-142, § 201, as added Oct. 9, 2002, D.C. Law 14-193, § 2(b), 49 DCR 7334.)