The Mayor of the District of Columbia may authorize any electric light company existing June 11, 1896, to construct and use under such regulations as the Council of the District of Columbia may fix conduits for the reception of overhead wires existing on said date within the territory formerly known as Georgetown, and to extend the same by an aggregate of not more than one and one-fourth miles of conduit in the same territory. And the United States Electric Lighting Company may extend its underground conduits and wires east of Rock Creek and within the fire limits to Mount Pleasant, and Washington and Columbia Heights under such regulations as the Council may prescribe.
Prior Codifications 1981 Ed., § 43-1201. 1973 Ed., § 43-1101. Change in Government This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 402(317) of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to the District of Columbia Council, subject to the right of the Commissioner as provided in § 406 of the Plan. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 (D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act (D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section. DC CODE § 34-1401 Current through December 11, 2012
(June 11, 1896, 29 Stat. 401, ch. 419, § 1.)