The Mayor of the District of Columbia is hereby authorized to issue permits to electric light companies existing on July 8, 1898, in the District of Columbia for the extension of overhead electric wires existing on July 8, 1898, outside the fire limits and west of Rock Creek to be used for lighting purposes only.
Prior Codifications 1981 Ed., § 43-1204. 1973 Ed., § 43-1104. Change in Government This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to a single Commissioner. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 (D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act (D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section. DC CODE § 34-1404 Current through December 11, 2012
(July 8, 1898, 30 Stat. 753, Joint Res. No. 59.)