The Mayor of the District of Columbia is hereby authorized to grant permits for the repair, enlargement, and extension, under proper regulations to be prescribed by the Council of the District of Columbia, of electric lighting conduits existing on June 6, 1900, and in every conduit constructed or to be constructed under the provisions of this section, 3 ducts shall be reserved for the use of the United States and the District of Columbia.
Prior Codifications 1981 Ed., § 43-1206. 1973 Ed., § 43-1106. Change in Government This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 402(319) of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to the District of Columbia Council, subject to the right of the Commissioner as provided in § 406 of the Plan. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 (D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act (D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section. DC CODE § 34-1406 Current through December 11, 2012
(June 6, 1900, 31 Stat. 563, ch. 789, § 1.)