- General authority. -- (1) The Secretary is authorized to establish or continue an agreement with an institution of higher education for the establishment and operation, including construction and equipment, of a National Technical Institute for the Deaf. The Secretary, in considering proposals from institutions of higher education to enter into an agreement under this chapter, shall give preference to institutions which are located in metropolitan industrial areas.
- The Secretary and the institution of higher education with which the Secretary has an agreement under this section shall, within 1 year after October 1, 1992, assess the need for modification of the agreement. The Secretary and the institution of higher education with which the Secretary has an agreement under this section shall also periodically update the agreement as determined to be necessary by the Secretary or the institution.
- Provisions of agreement. -- The agreement shall:
- Provide that federal funds appropriated for the benefit of NTID will be used only for the purposes for which appropriated and in accordance with the applicable provisions of this chapter and the agreement made pursuant thereto;
- Provide that the Board of Trustees or other governing body of the institution, subject to the approval of the Secretary, will appoint an advisory group to advise the Director of NTID in formulating and carrying out the basic policies governing its establishment and operation, which group shall include individuals who are professionally concerned with education and technical training at the postsecondary school level, persons who are professionally concerned with activities relating to education and training of individuals who are deaf, and members of the public familiar with the need for services provided by NTID;
- Provide that the Board of Trustees or other governing body of the institution will prepare and submit to the Secretary, not later than June 1 following the fiscal year for which the report is submitted, an annual report containing an accounting of all indirect costs paid to the institution of higher education under the agreement with the Secretary, which accounting the Secretary shall transmit to the Committee on Education and Labor of the House of Representatives and to the Committee on Labor and Human Resources of the Senate, with such comments and recommendations as the Secretary may deem appropriate;
- Include such other conditions as the Secretary deems necessary to carry out the purposes of this part;
- Provide that any laborer or mechanic employed by any contractor or subcontractor in the performance of work on any construction aided by federal funds appropriated for the benefit of NTID will be paid wages at rates not less than those prevailing on similar construction in the locality as determined by the Secretary of Labor in accordance with 40 U.S.C. §§ 276a-276a-5 commonly referred to as the Davis-Bacon Act; except that the Secretary of Labor shall have, with respect to the labor standards specified in this paragraph, the authority and functions set forth in Reorganization Plan Numbered 14 of 1950 (5 U.S.C. App.) and 40 U.S.C. § 276c; and
- Establish a policy of outreach and recruitment to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, particularly individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Limitation. -- If, within 20 years after the completion of any construction (except minor remodeling or alteration) for which such funds have been paid: (1) The facility ceases to be used for the purposes for which it was constructed or the agreement is terminated, unless the Secretary determines that there is good cause for releasing the institution from its obligation; or (2) the institution ceases to be the owner of the facility, the United States shall be entitled to recover from the applicant or other owner of the facility an amount which has the same ratio with respect to the current market value of the facility as the amount of federal funds expended for construction of such facility bears to the total cost of construction of the facility. The current market value of the facility shall be determined by agreement of the parties or by action brought in the United States district court for the district in which the facility is situated.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 31-1841.4b.
DC CODE § 38-2401.12
Current through December 11, 2012
(Aug. 4, 1986, 100 Stat. 781, Pub. L. 99-371, § 112, formerly § 202; renumbered and amended Oct. 1, 1992, 106 Stat. 2151, Pub. L. 102-421, §§ 101(b)(4), 121, 151(a)(4); Aug. 11, 1993, 107 Stat. 733, Pub. L. 103-73, §§ 202, 203(g).)