- The OSSE shall conduct, by September 30th of each year, an evaluation of all pre-k programs to establish existing capacity.
- By September 2009, and every 5 years thereafter, the OSSE shall submit to the Mayor and the Council a 5-year strategic expansion plan, including an assessment of the number of children interested in attending pre-k and the District's fiscal and physical capacity to accommodate them.
- Beginning in September 2009, and each year thereafter, OSSE shall submit to the Mayor and the Council an implementation plan for the following school year to expand pre-k to the maximum extent possible, but shall expand pre-k each year to accommodate a minimum of 15% of the unserved children, based on the strategic expansion plan, until pre-k programs are available to all children of pre-k age whose parents choose to send them to pre-k.
- (1) During the expansion to universal pre-k, OSSE shall use its best efforts to:
- Ensure that over a 5-year period a minimum of 25% of all new pre-k programs are operated by CBOs; and
- Maintain a balance of diversity among the children.
- For the purpose of this subsection, "diversity" means a mix of children:
- From families of different income levels;
- With, and without, disabilities or special needs; and
- Whose first language is, and is not, English.
- A pre-k program established following July 18, 2008, shall comply with the HQ standards, established pursuant to, respectively, §§ 38-271.02(b)(4) and 38-272.01(b), upon the effective date of the HQ standards.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 17-202, see notes following § 38-271.01.
DC CODE § 38-273.01
Current through December 11, 2012
(July 18, 2008, D.C. Law 17-202, § 301, 55 DCR 6297.)