- Before February 15, 2013, the City Administrator shall transmit to the Council and to the Healthy Schools and Youth Commission a comprehensive food services plan that shall include:
- A plan to reduce the cost of providing food services in the District of Columbia Public Schools ("DCPS"), without reducing the quality, taste, or nutritional standards of the food being served, including an:
- Examination of how similar jurisdictions provide food services in schools;
- Explanation of the cost drivers in the DCPS food services program;
- Accounting of:
- The local funds subsidies (net losses) required by federal programs for each year since fiscal year 2007, including the total subsidy per year and the subsidy per meal served per year;
- Whether the District has received all of the rebates, credits, and other funds owed by its current food-service vendors;
- An evaluation of whether preparing meals internally without an outside vendor would reduce costs; and
- An implementation plan and timeline for the DCPS food services program to become cost-neutral;
- An analysis of the efficiencies and savings that could be gained by combining the food services programs in:
- The Department of Corrections;
- The Department of Human Services;
- The Department of Mental Health;
- The Department of Parks and Recreation;
- The District of Columbia Public Schools;
- The Office of Aging; and
- Other agencies;
- An analysis of whether a centralized food services program could offer public charter schools the opportunity to purchase meals from it, instead of from a private vendor; and
- An analysis of how the District's food service programs can become more sustainable.
- The City Administrator shall be assisted in preparing the plan required by subsection (a) of this section by the:
- District of Columbia Public Schools;
- Office of the State Superintendent of Education;
- Department of General Services;
- Mayor's Office of Budget and Finance;
- Council's Budget Office;
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer; and
- City Administrator.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For history of Law 19-168, see notes under § 38-751.01.
Section 4063 of D.C. Law 19-168 provides:
"Sec. 4063. Applicability.
"This subtitle shall apply as of June 20, 2012."
DC CODE § 38-823.01a
Current through December 11, 2012
(July 27, 2010, D.C. Law 18-209, § 301a, as added Sept. 20, 2012, D.C. Law 19-168, § 4062(g), 59 DCR 8025.)