The DC Code: § 42-1902.11 Allocation of interests in common elements; proportionate or equal shares; statement in declaration; no alteration nor disposition without unit; no partition.
Index → 42 Real Property. (Refs & Annos)
- The declaration may allocate to each unit depicted on plats and plans that comply with subsections (a) and (b) of § 42-1902.14 an undivided interest in the common elements proportionate to either the size or par value of each unit.
- Otherwise, the declaration shall allocate to each such unit an equal undivided interest in the common elements, subject to the following exception: Each convertible space so depicted shall be allocated an undivided interest in the common elements proportionate to the size of each such space, vis-a-vis the aggregate size of all units so depicted, while the remaining undivided interest in the common elements shall be allocated equally to the other units so depicted.
- The undivided interests in the common elements allocated in accordance with subsection (a) or (b) of this section shall add up to 1 if stated as fractions or 100% if stated as percentages.
- If, in accordance with subsection (a) or (b) of this section, an equal undivided interest in the common elements is allocated to each unit, the declaration may simply state that fact and need not express the fraction or percentage so allocated.
- Otherwise, the undivided interest allocated to each unit in accordance with subsection (a) or (b) of this section shall be reflected by a table in the declaration, or by an exhibit or schedule accompanying the declaration and recorded simultaneously therewith, containing 3 columns. The first column shall identify the units, listing them serially or grouping them together in the case of units to which identical undivided interests are allocated. Corresponding figures in the second and third columns shall set forth the respective areas or par values of those units and the fraction or percentage of undivided interest in the common elements allocated thereto.
- Except to the extent otherwise expressly provided by this chapter, the undivided interest in the common elements allocated to any unit shall not be altered, and any purported transfer, encumbrance, or other disposition of that interest without the unit to which it appertains shall be void.
- The common elements shall not be subject to any suit for partition until and unless the condominium is terminated.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 45-1821.
1973 Ed., § 5-1221.
Legislative History of Laws
For legislative history of D.C. Law 1-89, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 42-1901.01.
DC CODE § 42-1902.11
Current through December 11, 2012
(Mar. 29, 1977, D.C. Law 1-89, title II, § 211, 23 DCR 9532b.)