- Within 90 days of April 13, 2005, the Chief of Police, pursuant to subchapter I of Chapter 5 of Title 2, and in accordance with this subchapter, shall issue rules governing investigations and preliminary inquiries involving First Amendment activities, including the authorization, conduct, monitoring, and termination of investigations and preliminary inquiries, and the maintenance, dissemination, and purging of records, files, and information from such investigations and preliminary inquiries.
- The rules issued under subsection (a) of this section shall require the MPD to direct undercover officers and informants to refrain from:
- Participating in unlawful acts or threats of violence;
- Using unlawful techniques to obtain information;
- Initiating, proposing, approving, directing, or suggesting unlawful acts or a plan to commit unlawful acts;
- Being present during criminal activity or remaining present during unanticipated criminal activity, unless it has been determined to be necessary for the investigation;
- Engaging in any conduct the purpose of which is to disrupt, prevent, or hinder the lawful exercise of First Amendment activities;
- Attending meetings or engaging in other activities for the purpose of obtaining legally privileged information, such as attorney-client communications or physician-patient communications; and
- Recording or maintaining a record concerning persons or organizations who are not a target of the investigation or preliminary inquiry, unless the information is material to the investigation or preliminary inquiry, or the information would itself justify an investigation or preliminary inquiry under this subchapter.
- The rules issued under subsection (a) of this section shall require that all members assigned to the Intelligence Section, Special Investigations Branch, attend training on this subchapter and the rules. The rules shall require that all members of the Intelligence Section sign an acknowledgment that they have received, read, understood, will abide by, and will maintain a copy of this subchapter and the rules.
Historical and Statutory
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 15-352, see notes following § 5-331.01.
DC CODE § 5-333.08
Current through December 11, 2012
(Apr. 13, 2005, D.C. Law 15-352, § 208, 52 DCR 2296.)