- For purposes of this chapter:
- "Benefit" (with respect to a foreign mission) means any acquisition, or authorization for an acquisition, in the United States by or for a foreign mission, including the acquisition of: (A) real property by purchase, lease, exchange, construction, or otherwise; (B) public services, including services relating to customs, importation, and utilities, and the processing of applications or requests relating to public services; (C) supplies, maintenance, and transportation; (D) locally engaged staff on a temporary or regular basis; (E) travel and related services; and (F) protective services; and includes such other benefits as the Secretary may designate;
- "Chancery" means the principal offices of a foreign mission used for diplomatic or related purposes, and annexes to such offices (including ancillary offices and support facilities), and includes the site and any building on such site which is used for such purposes;
- "Director" means the Director of the Office of Foreign Missions established pursuant to § 6-1303(a);
- "Foreign mission" means any mission to or agency in the United States involving diplomatic, consular, or other governmental activities of: (A) a foreign government; or (B) an organization (other than an international organization, as defined in § 6-1309(b)) representing a territory or political entity which has been granted diplomatic or other official privileges and immunities under the laws of the United States or which engages in some aspect of the conduct of the international affairs of such territory or political entity; including any real property of such a mission and including the personnel of such a mission;
- "Real property" includes any right, title, or interest in or to, or the beneficial use of, any real property in the United States, including any office or other building;
- "Secretary" means the Secretary of State;
- "Sending state" means the foreign government, territory, or political entity represented by a foreign mission; and
- "United States" means, when used in a geographic sense, the several states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the territories and possessions of the United States.
- Determinations with respect to the meaning and applicability of the terms used in subsection (a) of this section shall be committed to the discretion of the Secretary.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 5-1202.
For effective date of amendment made by title II of Pub. L. 97-241, Historical and Statutory Notes following § 6-1301.
DC CODE § 6-1302
Current through December 11, 2012
(Aug. 24, 1982, 96 Stat. 283, Pub. L. 97-241, § 202; Aug. 16, 1985, 99 Stat. 405, Pub. L. 99-93, § 127(b).)