The Council establishes the following economic development zones, which shall be eligible for tax and other development incentives:
- The Alabama Avenue economic development zone, which is bordered on the north by the east side of Fort Stanton Park, S.E., and Suitland Parkway, S.E., and the northern property line of St. Elizabeths Hospital and Alabama Avenue, S.E., on the south by Southern Avenue, S.E., on the northeast along Fort Baker to 28th Street, S.E., south on 28th Street to Denver Street, S.E., south on Denver Street, S.E., to Naylor Road, S.E., and southeast on Naylor Road, S.E., to Southern Avenue, S.E., and on the west by South Capital Street, S.E., as designated in Mayor's Order 86-193, dated October 27, 1986 (33 DCR 7798);
- The D.C. Village economic development zone, which is bordered by I-295 on the west and south, Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue, S.W., on the east, and Laboratory Road, S.W., on the North, as designated in Mayor's Order 86-193, dated October 27, 1986 (33 DCR 7798);
- The Anacostia economic development zone, from the west span of the 11th Street Bridge, south to Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, S.E., and S Street, S.E., east on S Street, S.E., to Naylor Road, S.E., south to Altamont Place, S.E., south to Good Hope Road, S.E., south along the west boundary of Fort Stanton Park to Suitland Parkway, southwest along the north side of Suitland Parkway, S.E., crossing Suitland Parkway, S.E., at Robinson Place, S.E., northwest along the north property-line of Saint Elizabeths Hospital to the start of the property line of Barry Farms, then to that portion of the west campus of Saint Elizabeths Hospital that includes approximately 40 acres adjacent to Barry Farms on the north property line, including the area in and around the Point; and adjacent to the I-295 expressway right of way on the south property line, to the west property line of Saint Elizabeths Hospital, south to the southern property line of Saint Elizabeths Hospital, east to Milwaukee Place, S.E., southeast to Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue, S.E., south to Portland Street, S.E., west to South Capitol Street, S.E., north to Anacostia Drive, S.E., east to the west span of the 11th Street Bridge, provided that the inclusion of the approximately 40 acre portion of St. Elizabeths Hospital in the Anacostia economic development zone shall not be construed to affect in any manner the preparation and implementation of the master plan provided for by § 44-907, nor shall it be construed to in any way interfere with the policy set forth in § 2(3)(L) of the Final Mental Health System Implementation Plan Comment Resolution of 1986 (Res. 6-950; 34 DCR 179); and
- Any other economic development zone within the District of Columbia that is recommended by the Mayor pursuant to § 6-1502 and approved by the Council, by resolution.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 5-1401.
Legislative History of Laws
Law 7-177, the "Economic Development Zone Incentives Amendment Act of 1988," was introduced in Council and assigned Bill No. 7-208, which was referred to the Committee on Finance and Revenue. The Bill was adopted on first and second readings on June 28, 1988 and July 12, 1988, respectively. Signed by the Mayor on August 2, 1988, it was assigned Act No. 7-237 and transmitted to both Houses of Congress for its review.
Delegation of Authority
Delegation of authority under the Economic Development Zones Incentives Amendment Act of 1988, D.C. Law 7-177, see Mayor's Order 90-161, October 31, 1990.
Establishment of the Development Zones Administration: See Mayor's Order 90- 195, December 13, 1990.
Good Hope Marketplace Real Property Tax Abatement Qualification Resolution of 1996: Pursuant to Resolution 11-290, effective April 16, 1996, Council approved the qualification of Safeway Stores, Inc.'s Good Hope Marketplace project at 2845 Alabama Avenue, S.E., which is located in the Alabama Avenue Development Zone, as described in the Economic Development Zone Incentive Amendment Act of 1988, for an abatement of real property taxes pursuant to that act.
DC CODE § 6-1501
Current through December 11, 2012
(Oct. 20, 1988, D.C. Law 7-177, § 2, 35 DCR 6158.)