- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, the owner, manager, or person in charge of any restaurant having a seating capacity of 50 or more shall designate at least 25% of the total seating capacity as a nonsmoking area. Bar and lounge seating in the restaurant is excluded from this total seating capacity calculation. Smoking shall be prohibited in these nonsmoking areas even if, after a certain hour, food is no longer served.
- Any new construction for the purpose of establishing a restaurant or major renovation, performed on or after March 29, 1988, to an existing restaurant, which has a seating capacity of 50 or more, shall contain a nonsmoking area that is at least 50% of the total seating capacity. Bar and lounge seating in the restaurant is excluded from this total seating capacity calculation. Smoking shall be prohibited in these nonsmoking areas even if, after a certain hour, food is no longer served. In accordance with § 7-1705(c), the Mayor shall define the term "major renovation".
- (1) In areas where smoking is permitted pursuant to any provision of this subchapter, physical barriers or separate rooms may be used to the greatest extent possible to minimize the smoke in adjacent nonsmoking areas. Ventilation shall be in compliance with the District of Columbia laws and rules governing indoor ventilation.
- No area shall be designated as a smoking area where smoking is prohibited by the Fire Marshal or by other District of Columbia laws or rules.
- Smoking areas shall comply with all laws and rules of the District of Columbia.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 6-913.1.
Legislative History of Laws
Law 7-100, the "District of Columbia Smoking Restriction Act of 1979 Amendment Act of 1987," was introduced in Council and assigned Bill No. 7-218, which was referred to the Committee on Public Works. The Bill was adopted on first and second readings on January 5, 1988 and January 19, 1988, respectively. Signed by the Mayor on February 11, 1988, it was assigned Act No. 7-144 and transmitted to both Houses of Congress for its review.
For complete smoking ban in all places of employment and public places, see § 7-742.
Delegation of Authority
Delegation of authority under D.C. Law 3-22, the District of Columbia Smoking Restriction Act of 1979, see Mayor's Order 90-192, December 13, 1990.
DC CODE § 7-1703.01
Current through December 11, 2012
(Sept. 28, 1979, D.C. Law 3-22, § 4a, as added Mar. 29, 1988, D.C. Law 7- 100, § 2(d), 35 DCR 1182.)