- Pursuant to rules issued by the Mayor in accordance with § 8-1506, by May 15, 1991, and on February 1 of each subsequent year, any person who generates low-level radioactive waste in the District shall submit to the Mayor a report that details for the previous calendar year:
- The class and quantity of any waste generated, stored by the generator for decay or for later transfer to another facility, or transferred by the generator to another facility;
- The general type of generator (e.g., medical, university, industry, electric, utility, government, or nonprofit);
- Any additional information as the Mayor may require on the nature and characteristics of the waste (including chemical and physical characteristics, properties, or constituents, radionuclides present, curie content or concentration of radioactivity); and
- The extent of reduction in quantity and the nature and extent of reduction or other change in nature of characteristics of the waste as a result of treatment or interim storage after generation and before delivery to a facility for permanent disposal of the waste.
- The Mayor shall, pursuant to rules issued in accordance with § 8-1506, provide the appropriate procedures for the preparation and submission of the report when more than one person is the generator of the same waste.
- Any generator who fails to report as required by this section shall be fined an amount not to exceed $5,000 for each day of noncompliance and may be required to forfeit any right, license, permit, or privilege to possess radioactive materials in the District.
- Beginning on July 1, 1991, and on April 1 of each subsequent year, the Mayor shall submit to the Council of the District of Columbia, a report that summarizes and categorizes by type of generator, the nature, characteristic, and quantity of waste generated in the District during the previous calendar year.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 6-3702.
Legislative History of Laws
For legislative history of D.C. Law 8-226, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 8-1501.
Law 11-110, the "Technical Amendments Act of 1996," was introduced in Council and assigned Bill No. 11-485, which was referred to the Committee of the Whole. The Bill was adopted on first and second readings on December 5, 1995, and January 4, 1996, respectively. Signed by the Mayor on January 26, 1996, it was assigned Act No. 11-199 and transmitted to both Houses of Congress for its review. D.C. Law 11-110 became effective on April 18, 1996.
Delegation of Authority
Delegation of authority pursuant to D.C. Law 8-226, the District of Columbia Low-Level Radioactive Waste Generator Regulatory Policy Act of 1990, see Mayor's Order 2007-126, May 31, 2007 (54 DCR 9065).
DC CODE § 8-1502
Current through December 11, 2012
(Mar. 7, 1991, D.C. Law 8-226, § 3, DCR 219; Apr. 18, 1996, D.C. Law 11- 110, § 17, 43 DCR 530.)