- The Mayor shall not release a dog to its owner unless the owner has obtained a license as provided in § 8-1804.
- An owner of an animal that is impounded shall pay the following:
- An impoundment fee of $15 for animals certified by a licensed veterinarian as either spayed or neutered or incapable of enduring spaying or neutering;
- An impoundment fee of $15 for unneutered and unspayed animals, provided the owner agrees to have the animal sterilized and prepays the cost of the surgery;
- An impoundment fee of $75 for dogs and $50 for all other animals that have not been spayed or neutered, where the owner does not utilize the option in paragraph (2) of this subsection;
- A boarding fee of $5 for each night after the 1st night;
- The cost of veterinary services, including vaccinations, provided by the Mayor; and
- Any outstanding fines.
- The Mayor shall issue a notice of violation to an owner of an animal impounded under § 8-1805 except that this subsection shall not apply the 1st time an owner has an animal impounded.
Historical and Statutory
1981 Ed., § 6-1006.
1973 Ed., § 6-2406.
Legislative History of Laws
For legislative history of D.C. Law 3-30, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 8-1801.
For legislative history of D.C. Law 9-236, see Historical and Statutory Notes following § 8-1804.
DC CODE § 8-1806
Current through December 11, 2012
(Oct. 18, 1979, D.C. Law 3-30, § 7, 26 DCR 765; Mar. 17, 1993, D.C. Law 9-236, § 2(c), 40 DCR 614.)