- A tenant shall allow access to his or her dwelling unit, at reasonable times, to the unit owner or the owner's employee or representative to facilitate any work or inspection required under this chapter following the provision of written notice by the owner at least 48 hours prior to the work or inspection; provided, that entry or inspection of any residential premises shall not be made without the permission of the occupant of the premises unless a warrant is obtained first from the Superior Court of the District of Columbia pursuant to § 11-941.
- Notice required by subsection (a) of this section shall include:
- A description of the general nature and locations of the planned work or inspection by the owner or his employee or representative;
- Related requirements for containment, occupant protection, and relocation;
- The expected starting and ending dates of the planned work; and
- Any other information prescribed by the Mayor.
- If the owner demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Mayor that the tenant refuses to allow access after the owner provides notice of no less than 7 days, the owner shall be exempt from meeting any requirements of this chapter that are dependent upon such access as long as that tenant occupies that dwelling unit or until the tenant provides written notice of the tenant's willingness to allow access or otherwise allows access. Nothing in this subsection shall prohibit the Mayor from ordering the owner to fulfill the tenant's reasonable conditions for access or take other action to ensure that the ordered work can be completed.
- Notwithstanding subsections (a) through (c) of this subsection, if entrance is for the purpose of performing work, the tenant may deny access to any person not properly certified pursuant to § 8-231.10 to perform that work.
Historical and Statutory
Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 18-348 rewrote subsec. (a), which had read as follows:
"(a) Subject to 14 DCMR § 707.18, a tenant shall allow access to his or her dwelling unit, at reasonable times, to the owner or his or her employee or representative to facilitate any work or inspection required under this chapter following the provision of written notice by the owner at least 48 hours prior to the work or inspection."
Legislative History of Laws
For Law 17-381, see notes following § 8-231.01.
For history of Law 18-348, see notes under § 8-231.01.
DC CODE § 8-231.06
Current through December 11, 2012
(Mar. 31, 2009, D.C. Law 17-381, § 7, 56 DCR 1596; Mar. 31, 2011, D.C. Law 18-348, § 2(f), 58 DCR 717.)